Random Quote

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Zealously representing the client by making sure he goes to prison.


This post from Diary of a Criminal Solicitor in Great Britain presents what would be an interesting ethical issue in America.

The client was convinced that the only way he would ever kick his drug habit was to go to one of Her Majesty's prisons for awhile so the solicitor found himself "acting like a prosecutor" by pointing out the egregious criminal record and suggesting reasons why bail would not be appropriate and eventually getting a "Thank You" from the client when the solicitor successfully convinced the Magistrate to remand him to prison.

Thanks to Skelly at Arbitrary and Capricious and Ken at CrimLaw for the link.

1 comment:

Ken Lammers said...

I've never had a client ask that I get him into the prison but I had one gentleman ask me to get him more time than the plea agreement I had worked out called for (can't say why ~ AC privilege). The prosecutor's mouth actually dropped open when I asked him for 6 more months.

I've also known defense attorneys to fight a PR bond when the prosecutor asks for it (because defendant is ill and municipality does not want to pay for it).