Random Quote

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

All the kings horses and all the kings men won't get this lawsuit back on track again.


Overlawyered reports here that the 10th Circuit has upheld both a partial summary judgment awarded Southwest Airlines and the jury verdict in favor of the airline in a suit brought by two passengers who alleged that they suffered emotional and physical distress when a flight attendant recited "a nursery rhyme with a racist history."

In an attempt to get the passengers seated so the plane could depart, the flight attendant announced over the intercom, "Eenie, meenie, minie, mo, pick a seat, we gotta go."

The 10th Circuit's opinion can be found here.

N.B. Okay, I know I have been prolific (for me) in posting today but that is only because I took the day off, roughed out a first draft of my portion of an appellate advocacy book I am collborating on and decided to celebrate by spending lot of what was left surfing the blogs (as you can see). Don't get used to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn’t tell your readers that this was more than just a nursery rhyme that caused offense (though I do like racist nursery rhymes, myself): Plaintiff Fuller, who is epileptic, claimed that she suffered a petit mal seizure during the flight as a result of the announcement. She also claimed that she suffered a grand mal seizure that evening at home, leaving her bedridden for several days.

Not that it matters.