Random Quote

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Now this is just plain silly!

Apparently Oregon wants people to pay for the privilege of finding out what the law is in that state. It seems that the Beaver State claims copyright protection for the Oregon Revised Statutes (although they are apparently going to give those intellectual property pirates at ThompsonWest a pass).

Let me see if I have this straight. Oregon is taking the legal position that its public laws are not in the public domain?

I can't wait to see how this one plays out. If this catches on, I could try copyrighting my opinions. Of course, they are free now and I'm pretty sure that nobody reads them.

Via Boing Boing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see someone make a due process argument: a snarky lack of notice claim. I wonder how far that would get.