Random Quote

Saturday, March 18, 2006

A judge to be proud of.

As part of the 1995 peace settlement in the parts of the former Yugoslavia known as Bosnia and Herzegovina, those countries, under the auspices of a High Representative of the European Union, have set up a "Court for War Crimes, Organised Crime, Economic Crime and Corruption."

Why do I care about this? Because back in August, my former professor, colleague, and still my friend, Judge Richard S. Gebelein, retired from the state bench and took a two-year appointment as a judge of this unique court.

I heard from him recently and he tells me that although he misses being away from his family, it is very interesting work and he is enjoying it except for the death threats and bodyguards that go with the job (apparently they started bringing in "international" judges from other countries because local judges who refused to acquit some defendants kept getting killed along with their families).

I vacationed in Croatia and Bosnia in 1980 (before the war when it was all just one big Yugoslavia) and visited Sarajevo and Mostar. Bosnia is a beautiful place and will be even more so when they finish rebuilding from the war. Judge Gebelein tells me that unfortunately, Sarajevo the capital and the place he holds court, still largely looks like Berlin immediately after WWII.

Sometimes being a judge requires real courage. This is a job that needs to be done so hang in there Rich, you make me proud to know you.

No comments: