Random Quote

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Divorce Economics - New Jersey Style.

From the State of New Jersey, here is a higher profile example of a mindset that judges see every day. It is where the parties to a broken marriage would rather give the money to the lawyers than allow their former spouse to have it

Today's lesson in "divorce economics" comes to us by way of Superior Court Judge Karen Cassidy's ruling in the case of the McGreevey's, the former N.J. governor, who is gay, and his spouse, Dina, who is not.

The bottom line of the balance sheet looks like this:

Dina spent $500,000 to get an award of $100,000 while Jim also spent $500,000 to save $200,000. (He had reportedly offered a settlement of $300,000.)"

Buried in the opinion is the tidbit that Dina testified that in order to look the part of the state's First Lady, she spent about $40,000 a year on clothing and accessories for herself and her daughter. Turns out Jim actually asked the court to count all those St. Johns suits as a marital asset and to compensate him for their value.

Wouldn't it have been faster to e-mail the writers for Leno, Letterman, the Daily Show and the Colbert Report directly?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately It's a sad and greedy world we live in today. The lawyers are lovin it though :>)

Anonymous said...

HOWT, I love the little bit of your blog that I've read, truly entertaining. I don't know if what I've learned is good or bad. When in school, 23 years ago. math was easy for me, I had know problems understanding it. But after, reading your blog Jersey style, I don't think I ever learned to do that kind of math and I don't think I ever want to.

God bless
Wesley