Random Quote

Monday, January 12, 2009

Will the new Solicitor General break with tradition? I'd say the odds are pretty good.


The Mad Law Professor asks the question. Will the new administration's Solicitor General, current Harvard Law School Dean Elena Kagan, break with the tradition of wearing a morning coat when appearing to argue cases in the Supreme Court of the United States?

Since she is the first woman to hold the post, I doubt that the formal ware worn by men since before the turn of the previous century, which includes stripped pants and a coat with tails, will find a place among the business suits in her closet.

Thus will a 138 year tradition come to an end. Of course, I think I would rather see that tradition end than see Dean Kagan wearing this outfit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always good to see incisive commentary on the most important legal issues of the day. As the new administration struggles to reconcile the past legal positions about rendition, GTMO, torture, and everything else with its own ideological beliefs, I believe all Americans should concentrate on the fashion statements of its lawyers. Thank you once again for your continued coverage.

Have Opinion Will Travel said...

Ah, another satisfied customer. Before you get your panties in a bunch, you might note that this blog doesn't promise any "incisive commentary."

As its says at the top of this page, all you will get from me are "observations, thoughts and occasional rants" - none of them are intended to be particularly incisive.

Apparently, I don't take this blogging stuff as seriously as you do but there is a nice list of blogs on the left side of the page where you can get all kinds of "incisive commentary."

Mister Wolf said...

I for one, enjoy your fashion commentary, your honor. This is a mellow "law blog"(if you consider it such) compared to most(where it seems like nobody was told they were out of law school).

Ah, let me introduce myself a little bit. I've been reading your blog for about a year and I'm merely a young man thinking about going to law school(even though I know there are way too many new lawyers, reason why I'm still thinking about it).

Ken Lammers said...

I am shocked! Shocked, I say! All attorneys - other than me, myself & I - should have to wear uncomfortable, silly looking clothes.

I just keep waiting for some judge to say, "Okay, I'm already wearing a suit. I don't need this stupid robe" and start a trend.